[Everyone] Re: Thursday Blues

Paul
Thu Jun 10 15:54:29 GMT 2010

James,
Did you mean to send this to everyone? It sounds a bit personal.
Regards
Paul RISK

-----Original Message-----
From:   On Behalf Of James B.
Sent: 10 June 2010 12:45
To: Steven Andrews
Cc: Everyone in the office
Subject: [Everyone] Thursday Blues

Steve -

Look, I'm really sorry. I know how you felt about Tim and if I could
take back the things I said and did, I would.

When you first introduced me to Tim at that thing, I didn't think that
much of it. But when we kept bumping into each other - at Gino's, at
the market, outside your house - well, I started to think about him a
lot more. I wasn't expecting to get the job at Caldwell's - I just
applied on the off-chance - but it was such a nice surprise to find
him working there too.

He's a funny one, isn't he? He was very quiet when I first arrived at
Caldwell's - surprised to see me, I suppose. I mean, it was a big
move, to take a job - and a pay cut - in a different city, in an
entirely different career. But then, something about it just really
called out to me. It's not really Caldwell's itself - I mean, retail
polybag buying isn't exactly glamorous, not compared to A&R - but the
ethos of the company. The people.

Perhaps Tim told you a bit about how things at Caldwell's didn't
really work, but he was really kind to me, personally, about it. He
was the one who told me I had to leave, not Caldwell himself. I think
that's when we really started to bond. I had to get the new job here
but I still wanted to keep in touch with him. That's why I moved into
number 43.

It's been so lovely living next door to the two of you. The
conversations over the fence, the sitting on the step - well, me
sitting on your step - hanging out in the park, walking to the shops,
and back. But the high point was probably our holiday in Malta. I'll
never forget your faces when I came down to breakfast that morning.
And you were so sweet about insisting I should enjoy it for myself,
but really my best memories are of the taverna on the Dingli cliffs
where you danced, that little beach below Ġnejna where I caught you
two - you know - and, of course, the train home from the airport when
Tim said he believed the two of you would always have me around.

After all of those wonderful times, I'm as shattered as you are about
Tim deciding to leave the country. And I know I said some hurtful,
terrible things in the bar last night, but there were some home truths
in there, I think. That manager made a terrible fuss about me bringing
in those extra chairs to sit with you, and perhaps you were over-
protective of Tim, but you shouldn't blame yourself for his going.
After all the times we've shared, I hope *we* can still be friends.

Yours, with love,

James